The Innovation Challenge
The SET4BIO Innovation Challenge has throughout 2021 engaged promising and ambitious innovators all over Europe, and it is now time for the grand final.
The Final Innovation Challenge Event will be held online on 26 January 2022, 12:00 – 16:00 (CET). Leading experts from research organizations and political institutions will discuss on innovating for sustainability through innovation contests. Then, Teams will demonstrate their accelerated Solutions, and Seals of Excellence will be awarded to the most promising ones.
Register here to join the event
Objectives of the Innovation Challenge
The call was open to solutions addressing at least one of the six + two value chains for bioenergy and advanced renewable fuels as described by ETIP Bioenergy.
To selected innovators, the SET4BIO Innovation Challenge provides the following major opportunities:
- Engage innovators in developing innovative proposals for solutions that stimulate and increase the possibility of producing and using bioenergy and renewable fuels by also implementing the EU Green Deal Vision.
- Accelerating the development of their solution via 5 virtual events
- Assessing the solution with a Final Demonstration day
- Match innovators with innovative solutions with potential funding opportunities.
Download the One-Pager Information Flyer.
Participating Teams and Solutions
Seven teams with the most promising Concepts were selected by the Organisers to enter the Challenge.
Slide the profile cards to discover more about engaged innovators and their solutions.
The Challenge Process
The Innovation Challenge was divided into the following stages:
- Application period,16 November 2020 – 15 march 2021
Download here the Rules for Participation
- Screening of applicants,15 March – 1st April 2021
A screening of Concepts was made by the Organisers to select the most promising Concepts to be accepted to enter the Challenge.
- Virtual Kick-off, 15 April 2021
A welcome and introductory event marked the start of the Innovation Challenge, where the selected teams of innovators had the chance to meet each other and to present their concept. Detailed information about the Challenge process was provided to the Entrants during the event.
- Virtual Events
Between May and October 2021, four virtual theme-based events took place to support the Entrants in developing their Concepts. The Events were focused on:
- Value chain potential, May 18th
- Innovation height, June 30th
- Business viability, September 16th
- Scalability, October 17th
Each virtual event was preceded by a preparation phase in which the teams worked with their Concepts in association to the theme of the event; then, it was followed by a post-event phase to ensure Concept acceleration.
- Final Event: 26 January 2022 12:00 am - 4:00 pm
The evaluation of best Concepts will be performed by a Jury: participating teams with their Solutions will be ranked, and the top-3 will be officially presented and awarded Seals of Excellence. The ceremony will take place as a hybrid event sent from Brussels.
Continuously throughout the one-year process, each team has received feedback from key stakeholders within the sector in regard to their Solution and funding opportunities, creating a basis for future matchmaking.
Additional information about the process, participating stakeholders, benefits of participating and events dates, locations and other details will be posted on this webpage.
|The SET4BIO project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 884524|